LEONG TENNIS ACADEMY (LTA) was established as a training ground to develop talented juniors of all ages. Our mission is to cultivate players to their fullest potential, both on and off the court. LTA is committed to developing each player’s attitude, work ethic, and group compatibility in the unique sport of tennis.
Academy members are a family with a common goal: EXCELLENCE. We support each other to improve every day. LTA fosters the individual development of each player as a student-athlete. Thanks to our modest size and exclusive training (we only train LTA members, year-round), members get to benefit from a great player-coach relationship.
The LTA DIFFERENCE
“Many academies have come and gone over the years. We have been in play since 2006”
We pride ourselves on the fact that we actually coach –we don’t just run random drills and hope for the best. Every practice has a purpose, and players work toward individual and group goals.
Each player in our program has Chris and Angela as their personal coaches, and they are constantly providing feedback every training session so no player is ever left behind. We help players to understand their individual game-style – and learn how to use it in competition.
We are the oldest and longest-standing academy in Portland. And we were the first academy in Portland to incorporate sport-specific fitness training into its program – we were the leader while no other academy offered it.
Meet your COACHES:
Chris and Angela Leong, founders of LEONG TENNIS ACADEMY, boasts over 48 years of teaching experience. They have coached and trained top sectional and nationally ranked juniors, top collegiate players and former touring professionals. Both share a passion for teaching, mentoring, and guiding juniors – and enjoy passing on their enthusiasm of the game. They are dedicated to their players, committed to giving the best of themselves to juniors devoted to the game.
ANGELA LEONG, ACADEMY DIRECTOR, HIGH PERFORMANCE TENNIS COACH
Originally from Hawaii, Angela was a top ranked sectional and national junior that received a full-scholarship playing Division I competition at the #1 and #2 spot in singles and #1 doubles spot for Loyola Marymount University ’90-’94.
Angela is also specialized in Basic Nutrition, Neuro Kinetic Therapy, Kiep Corrective Exercise, TRX Suspension and Kettlebell training.
- Active member of USPTA since 1996 – Elite Professional
- USTA Sport Science Certification-level 1 & 2
- Master’s of Science in Counseling Psychology 1997
- Assistant Tennis Professional & PRO-SHOP MANAGER at Hilton Waikoloa Village ’99-’02
- Head Tennis Professional for ADULT PROGRAMS at WHRFC ’03-’06
- Etcheberry Certified Coach since September 2008
- Angela’s Etcheberry Certification Profile
- IFBB – Professional Athlete since 2010
- National Academy of Sports Medicine – CPT – since March 2015
- NPTI National Personal Training Institute Graduate – March 2015
- USA High Performance Coach – September 2019 to Present
CHRIS LEONG, HIGH PERFORMANCE TENNIS COACH
Chris was a top ranked junior in Hawaii who also competed nationally and was a former top 20 nationally ranked college player, in both singles and doubles at the University of Southern Colorado ’93-’97.
- Active member of USPTA since 1999 – Elite Professional
- USTA Sport Science Certification- level 1&2
- Head Tennis Professional at Hilton Waikoloa Village ’99-’02
- Head Tennis Professional for JUNIOR PROGRAMS at WHRFC ’03-’07
- USA High Performance Certified Coach 2008 – Present
For program details, go to Our School-Year Tennis program Page.